The Roatan Expedition
We are going
- We are going to Honduras.
- We are going to bring books and clothing and desks and medicine.
- We are going to build gardens…and a library.
- We are going to fix things.
- We are going to teach.
- We are going to share our love of swimming, dance and gymnastics.
- We are going to make a difference.
- We are going.
Walking along a beach, a man saw a child in the distance picking something up and throwing it into the ocean.
He came closer still and called out, “Good morning! May I ask what you are doing?”
The child replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The sun is up and the tide is out.”
“But child, there are miles of beach and countless starfish. You can’t possibly make a difference.”
The child listened, and then threw another starfish into the ocean. “Made a difference for that one.”
Adapted from Loren Eisley
Honduras is the third poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. It is a 2 hour flight from Miami. 75% of Hondurans live in poverty. Most do not have running water, electricity or plumbing.
Roatan is a small island off the coast of Honduras. There are 30 schools on the island. There is not one public pool or swim program in Roatan. The school system and educational culture is incredibly poor. Less than 32 of 100 children finish primary school.
What is Needed
- Basic first aid supplies (alcohol wipes, antibiotic ointment, band aids, calamine lotion, cotton balls)
- Band instruments
- Bar soap
- Plastic/non-rusting bookshelves (with backs and sides)
- Children’s Books in English and Spanish
- Children’s chewable vitamins (not gummies)
- Clothing (underwear, t-shirts, shorts, skirts, dresses, bathing suits – new/used)
- Coloring Books
- Composition notebooks
- Desks for teachers (small non-rusting)
- Electric Fans
- Laminating machines and laminating paper
- Lined binder paper
- Markers – washable
- Paper (construction, lined and copy paper)
- Pencil sharpeners with deposits
- Shoes (black, K-6 girls and boys)
- Socks (white, K–6 girls and boys)
- Spanish English Dictionaries
- Tables and chairs for an entire classroom (long tables and properly sized chairs)
- Teaching supplies (educational posters, certificates, stickers)
- Dental Floss
- White boards (very large)
- White board markers